What Do You Mean I’ve Been Fined For Not Registering My Rental Property?

Author: Joshua Volland, Property Manager

What do you mean I’ve been fined for not registering my rental property?
This has been the reality in the past for some landlords who have failed to update the county with their new mailing address. Most cities use the county records office to mail important notices to owners, from code violations to taxes or in the case of this story; rental license applications.

Rental Registrations

There are several cities that have rental registrations in place. This article will focus on the process for a rental home in Overland Park.

City of Overland Park, KSAlthough Overland Park had rental registrations and then did away with them, they’ve created a new rental registration and inspection program that they’re rolling out in July.

I and others from Home Rental Services have been attending public meetings held by the City of Overland Park over the past year plus. The way the new program is being rolled out is confusing. We’re here to help guide you through the process and help you understand what to expect.

For the city of Overland Park…

If your rental home is in Overland Park, you need to ensure that the Johnson County records reflect your correct mailing address on the property records page.

  1. You can do a quick search of your rental property at: http://ims.jocogov.org/locationservices/
  2. When you input the rental property address in the search box and click Go, you will see detailed results for your rental home. (There’s a lot of helpful information!)
  3. Navigate to the listed Owner Information. If this doesn’t have your current mailing address, it’s important to get this corrected promptly with the county.
  4. For Johnson County, this can be done by completing the Change of Address: Real Estate & Personal Property form at: http://www.jocogov.org/dept/treasury-and-financial-management/real-estate-and-personal-property-tax/change-address

Why is this so important for rental homes in Overland Park?

It’s important because the city of Overland Park has decided to send all rental home owners the new rental registration form directly to the published address found in the Johnson County records as mentioned above. Although we’ve tried to work with the City to proactively get them a list of the homes we manage in Overland Park, they’ve insisted their method is the only way they’re willing to send the new rental registration forms.

If you don’t complete the new rental registration form, you could be fined. And if your mailing address isn’t correct, you might not even see the new registration form!

ePLACE – An alternate method for Overland Park Rental Licenses

ePLACEAlternatively, the City of Overland Park has given you, the property owner, a second option. You can apply for a rental license using ePLACE (https://energov.opkansas.org/CSS/SelfService#/home), the City’s online portal for permitting, licensing and inspections. You need to set up an account with ePLACE to start, and if you need help using their system, you can email ePlaceHelp@opkansas.org or call 913-895-6000.

When to Apply

Overland Park has advised not to apply for a rental license earlier than two months prior to your pre-scheduled inspection date, which can be found online at: http://www.opkansas.org/resident-resources/neighborhood-resources/rental-licensing-and-inspection-map/

How the Program Works

The program requires owners to obtain and maintain a valid rental license and pass an exterior inspection of each rental property.

The $60 per building fee funds licensing, inspection and code compliance for rental properties annually. Rental licenses will be good for two years, making the minimum fee for a single rental dwelling unit $120.

  • Two months prior to a property’s scheduled inspection date the City will notify the owners of rental dwellings of the need to file a rental license application.
  • Property owners should return the completed application to the City.
  • Upon receipt of the application, the City will make note of the appropriate contact information for the property and schedule the inspection.
  • The City will generate an invoice and send it to the appropriate contact person.
  • Upon payment of the invoice, the City will send a Rental License Permit to the owner.
  • The City will conduct an inspection sometime within the month that the property was scheduled for inspection.
  • The City will notify the appropriate contact person of the inspection results. If inspectors find deficiencies, the owners will be notified of the need to bring the property back into compliance.

Inspection Cycles

The program will be phased in on a month-by-month basis over a two-year period. Inspection phases will be:
Phase One: July 2017-April 2018
Phase Two: July 2018-April 2019
Inspection cycle restarts: July 2019

Landlords and other interested parties are encouraged to use the interactive map (http://www.opkansas.org/resident-resources/neighborhood-resources/rental-licensing-and-inspection-map/) to see when their properties are scheduled for inspection. The map will show the month and the year of the inspection.

When completing your application, you will want to be sure to provide Home Rental Services as your property manager if you are a current client.

Home Rental Services
6900 College Blvd Suite 990
Overland Park KS 66211
Phone: 913-469-6633
Email: propertymanagers@home4rent.com

If you do find yourself with any questions or concerns or needing assistance with navigating the process, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to assist.