Have you ever walked into your kitchen and found a bunch of ants on your counters? What about in your bathroom? If you’ve ever had an ant infestation, you know it isn’t any fun. Here are some great tips to avoid having this happen to you in the future!
How to Prevent Ant Infestation
- Store food items that attract ants, such as sugar, syrup, honey, and pet food in closed containers.
- Rinse out empty soft drink containers. Make sure you dispose of them in your recycle bin or trash in a timely manner.
- Thoroughly clean up grease or spills.
- Move garbage bags from your home to the larger collection containers outside or in your garage on a regular basis. Daily is ideal, but a few times a week is fine.
- Correct any plumbing leaks because moisture problems can attract ants.
- Eliminate wood-to-ground contact, such as where landscaping has pushed soil or mulch up against the wood siding of a home.
- Clip back tree limbs and vegetation touching the roof or siding of the house. Limbs and branches serve as bridges between tree limb nests and the structure of your home.
- Seal cracks and openings in the foundation, especially where utility pipes and wires enter from the outside.
- Stack firewood away from the foundation, and elevate it off the ground. Never store firewood in the garage or other areas of the home, as firewood is a major ant nesting area (and a fire hazard as well!).