We had a fairly harsh winter this year. It was the first time many of us heard the term “polar vortex” to describe the wintry weather conditions. We also learned that the temperature gauges in our cars could display negative numbers. Yes, it was cold.
When we go through extreme conditions, it is important to make sure our homes are ready for the next season… in this case Spring.
Top 5 Tips: Making Sure Your Home is Ready for Spring
1) Walk around the outside of your house and look for any signs of peeling paint.
2) Anywhere there is moisture and wood, you have to be on the lookout for wood rot. Check these common areas for any signs of wood rot:
- The vertical board under an exterior door
- The base of exterior doors
- Window sills
- Behind gutters and downspouts
- Corner trim boards
- Trim around doors and windows
3) Check for leaks under sinks, around washing machines, etc.
4) Change the furnace filter.
5) Let your property manager know if the gutters need to be cleaned.
6) Check that splash blocks are in place to help direct water away from the foundation.
If you find any issues, be sure to let your property manager know.